Thursday, September 18, 2008
Butternut, Chicken & Lentil Stew
Matt and I had this for dinner last night, and it was delicious!
[picture and recipe courtesy of Hallmark Magazine]
2lbs skinless, boneless chicken (the recipe calls for thighs-I used tenderloins)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons EVOO
2 cups coarsely chopped sweet onion
2 carrots, cut into pieces
1 large stalk celery, with leaves, chopped
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup red lentils ( I couldn't find these, so I used plain lentils)
4 cups peeled, cubed butternut squash ( I used two large squash)
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
The following spices to be added later:
--2 TBS savory
--2 TBS thyme
--1 TBS sage
--2 tsp garlic powder
--1/2 tsp pepper
1. cut chicken into pieces and dredge into flour, salt and pepper until coated.
2. heat 1 TBS EVOO, add chicken, cook until golden on all sides, about 5-8 mins
3. transfer chicken to a plate and keep warm
4. add rest of EVOO to pan, add carrots, onion, and cook about 3-5 mins
5. Add celery and cook about 1 min until softened
6. add the broth, lentils, and all the spices. Bring to boil over high heat.
7. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook 5 mins
8. Add the squash and cook covered about 20-25 mins or until all are tender.
9. Add S&P to taste if needed. Recipe called for slivered toasted almonds on top-I did not use.
Makes 6 servings
Each serving has: 493 calories, 19 g fat (4 g saturated), 40 g protein, 42 g carbohydrates (8.8 g fiber), 99 mg cholesterol, 779 mg sodium. Good source of: beta-carotene, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, potassium, selenium, zinc.