Monday, October 5, 2009

Banana Deliciousness

I had some over ripe bananas that I needed to use up (we never seem to finish them all), and I wasn't in the mood for banana bread. So, I searched the internet for some deliciousness and boy, did I find it! I found this blog with the following recipe for Banana Bars. I guess the original recipe is from My Kitchen Cafe at Allrecipes.com. GO MAKE THESE. NOW.


Bars -
Ingredients:
½ cup butter, softened
1 ½ cups white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream   [I used cream cheese instead because that's what I had]
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
three ripe bananas (about 1 cup)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 10 x 15 inch jellyroll pan or one 9X13 pan and an additional 8X8 pan. [I used two 8x8 pans instead]  In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; stir into the batter. Finally, mix in the mashed banana. Spread evenly into the prepared pan(s). Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow bars to cool completely before frosting.

Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting  [I didn't use frosting...but it sounds amazing!!!]
Ingredients:
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1 cup white sugar (you can use either granulated sugar or confectioners’ sugar – the confectioners’ sugar tends to dissolve better and not be as grainy but either one works fine) (I used confectioners)
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream

Directions:
In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Set aside. In another medium bowl, beat whipped cream until stiff peaks form (it helps to use a chilled bowl and chilled beaters). Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture.

I ended up calling this Banana Cake because of its soft, moist consistency. It had the perfect amount of banana flavor and well, was simply perfect all around. Bryan and Amanda came over and devoured it for a snack! You know it's good when I use the word devour.

This picture courtesy of the blog:









 
 
 
 
 
 
 
P.S. For my South Beach diet friends: you cannot have this. Sorry.

3 comments:

valarie said...

sounds very yummy, i'll keep this in mind cuz like you i always have ripe bananas begging for transformation, thanks for the post!

valarie said...

Hi Stef, just put my pan in the oven to bake, wondering what will happen because i added an extra egg by mistake and used yogurt instead of sour cream, just cleaning out the fridge and using up bananas, gotta love days off!

valarie said...

absolutely delish and company loved it, i went w/the frosting, oh my goodness!