Wednesday, January 7, 2009

soup

I made some soup last night...because it's clearly soup weather. I went off of a recipe I found recently called Turkey Albondigas soup. Albondigas means meatball, I think. It kind of reminded me of a spanish version of Italian Wedding soup. I tweaked it a bit though, and I will give you the recipe for my version (which is doubled so we have leftovers):

meatballs:
2lbs ground turkey
about 3 TBS each: cumin and oregano
about 2 tsp each: salt and pepper
2 eggs
almost 2 cups of bread crumbs

*mix together, form meatballs, refrigerate for about 20 min. (why? I have no idea...I just follow what they tell me...) This made about 30 med-sized meatballs.

soup:
3 large carrots, chopped
1 lg onion, chopped
1 lg can of diced tomatoes
4 lg pasilla or poblano peppers, chopped (I used pasilla because I couldn't find poblano...and I have no idea what the difference is) they are large and dark green :)
1/2 box acini de pepe noodles (small little tiny balls)
10-12 cups chicken broth...or however much you want :)
salt and pepper to taste
3-5 TBS cumin and oregano each (I used a CRAPLOAD-literally)
fresh cilantro

in a large pot, heat up EVOO, add chopped up carrots and onions. cook until softened. add the peppers, and tomatoes, cumin, oregano, s&p. Add broth. increase heat to high and get up to a boil. add the noodles, and the meatballs. Cook for at least 8 minutes at a simmer to cook the meatballs. Garnish with the cilantro.

The original recipe called for extra jalapenos and brown rice instead of the acini. I will try it next with the rice because this soup was AWESOME!

1 comment:

christy said...

I can't wait to make this soup! I am going to leavenworth later this month. Won't that be just perfect!?